Monday, December 16, 2013

200+ Days of Craziness

Oh my word, where to begin? That is always the question. Well, hey, guess what? I've hit 200 days on the mission. CRAZY.

Let me start by telling a little story. One day, I got called to play the piano for the mission-wide Christmas devotional. I happily agreed, glad to have an excuse to spend time on the piano. But then came the day of the performance...and the elder I was accompanying walked into the room I was practicing and asked what song I was playing. I laughed and told him he was funny. Sadly, it wasn't funny at all. Long story short, I had learned the wrong song. I had one hour to practice the new one...it was 8 pages and had 3 key changes, and 5 sharps. I was not excited to say the least haha. But strangely enough, I learned one of the biggest lessons of my life through this experience. Hopefully, I can make this make sense. 

With the song I originally practiced, I had been able to control how well I knew it and have it go my way in a sense. In other words, I could make sure it went well relying upon myself. When the songs switched, my plans were ruined and all I could do was pray that God would help me through it. As I sat at that piano with shaking hands and a mountain of a piece to play in front of me, I played relying upon my Savior. It was NO longer according to my plan, but Heavenly Father's plan. So often, I try with all my might to make plans and be in control, but God has a plan and sometimes I get in the way of it. God has a plan, and if I rely upon Him and let Him take the lead in my life, things may not turn out perfectly (just like the actual performance haha), but He will be able to use me as a tool in His hands to bring the Spirit and touch other people's lives. And really that is entirely what I want...to be able to let God touch the lives of all those I meet and love and serve. (And as a side bonus, we actually managed to pull that piece off and the Spirit didn't leave the room...no matter how many wrong notes I plunked out haha) Anyway, thank goodness for epiphanies right when you need them. I am so grateful to me serving and working my hardest to let God take the lead. It really is an incredible thing when you can feel that you are following His path for you.

And let the side notes begin!

1. One of our investigators who is getting baptized this week, quit smoking...but here's the catch...Somehow as I was throwing out her cigarettes, I found myself offering to do this with her. I told her I would stop drinking caffeinated sodas and we'd push through together. So ladies and gents, she has smoked her last cigarette and I drank my last Diet Pepsi. They say you come home from your mission a little bit different right? Haha I am so grateful to be able to do this with darling Sister Lemon. She's a gem.
2. We're currently teaching the most golden investigator I have ever met. He's incredible. And to give you an even better picture of it all-he's 47, black, has gold teeth, and has quite the history in prison. And yet I can honestly say he is the most pure-hearted man I have ever met. It makes my heart so happy. I love that change is so possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
3. The Muslim man we are (kind of) teaching, woke up late and shaved so fast he cut his face twice so he could get to church. Don't ask me why this little tid bit makes me nearly die with happiness.

4. The word's "Always remember Him" in the Sacrament prayers...are my absolute favorite. I'm trying best to let Christ be apart of each bit of my day and I have seriously never been so happy in my life. You should try it. There really is nothing more divine than letting your Savior in.

Over and Out,
Sister Hutchins

No comments:

Post a Comment