Monday, September 30, 2013

Hello World...dog bites, cool breezes, awkward prayers, and more!!

Hello World!
This has been one crazy week of 'firsts'. Are you ready for the list? Be prepared to laugh and shake your head a bit in disbelief.
1. I've finally be bitten by a dog. Yep. Picture Serious Black from Harry Potter as a dog....and he bit my leg. Luckily, there was no blood. Just a lovely bruise. 

2. We woke up at midnight to the police banging on our door. Yes, the police. Don't worry. We aren't felons. Scariest moment yet on the mission though.

3. Our washer flooded...and we live in the second floor of our apartment complex. So naturally, the water seeped into the man's apartment that lives below us. Apology note already delivered. (That was why the police were banging on our door weirdly enough. Just wanted to leave y'all in suspense for a bit haha).

4. I found out that one of my favorite skirts has quite a large whole in it, while very much out in public. Shaking your head yet?

5. I've officially been pulled over in Florida. WOOT WOOT. Don't worry I wasn't doing anything like speeding (I promise Jen). Our bike rack apparently blocks our registration tag...which is illegal. And I was wearing my seat belt under my arm. Thankfully he was nice and only gave us a warning. 

6. My ankles were swollen for 4 days. FIRE ANTS ARE THE WORST. I seriously had pregnant woman ankles. (I just wanted to be like you Jewelsie. Just kidding. Love you forever sister friend.)
Okay are you ready for the good 'firsts'? Because this week has actually been one of my absolute favorites of my mission so far.
7. I felt my first cool breeze in four months. Never felt anything more divine in my life.

8. We set a goal with our mission president to find 5 new investigators this week. Now, we only reached 4, but that is still the most I have ever found in one week so I'm pretty jazzed about it. My favorite new investigator moment was on Tuesday night. We had 20 minutes before our next appointment. I looked at Sister Hibpshman and told her that I really felt that God had given us 20 minutes to find our first new investigator. Little did I know how true that was. We knocked a few doors near a referral and then started talking to a man outside his home. He was definitely prepared by God. LOVE IT. My companion and I got back in the car nearly in tears...it was such a powerful experience. 

9. All my life I've been a little bugged about all the time girls waste getting ready every morning. I've officially found a solution. I now memorize a scripture a day while getting ready. It's great. No longer am I wasting all that precious time. I realize this is a rather large nerd/dork alert. But please love me anyway. 

10. As missionaries/representatives of Christ...part of this lovely calling means we can give Harvest Blessings. They are basically blessings on people's home/families....or just really mighty prayers. We did one of these with a less active sister who I will call Marilyn Monroe. (Seriously, I wish you all could meet her.) After the prayer my companion and I felt the spirit SO strongly. She didn't feel a thing. It was a little discouraging, so you can imagine our surprise when she walked into church on Sunday. After Sacrament meeting, she grabbed my arm and said, "Your prayer worked!" She went on to say that everything she had specifically asked us to include in that mighty prayer, had started happening. Most importantly, she woke up that very morning with the desire to go to church after not having the feeling in years. Yes yes, I may have started tearing up telling my companion about that afterwards. Oh my word, I love how powerful prayer is. By the way, the other seriously offended less active sister came to ALL of church today and even made a cake for the potluck afterward. Sure, she's still wearing her cross necklace, but she agreed to open back up her Book of Mormon this week. LOVE IT. Oh and did we mention she met with the bishop this week as well? Oh and is going to watch conference with us this weekend? I LOVE THIS WORK.
And lastly, I want to share the quote I've shared with what seems like every person we have taught this week for one reason or another. "Our prayers may be awkward. Our attempts may be feeble. But since the power of the prayer is in the one who hears it and not in the one who says it, our prayers do make a difference."-Max Lucado. Oh how true I know this to be. I seriously cannot get enough of this incredible work. I am stunned beyond words at how much I am not doing this work at all. I'm finally better grasping the idea that I am just a tool in His hands. He is performing the miracles, I just am doing my best to not get in the way of them. Hope you all are having a lovely day.
Sister Hutchins
p.s. If you have any friends or family you think would be interested in the gospel....I can teach them over facebook now. And would love love love to do it =)

No comments:

Post a Comment