Monday, August 18, 2014

Oh, happy day! (w/ really cute pictures!)

OH HAPPY DAY.
 
I know this is probably my 3000th time saying this, but I love being a missionary. This time is going by so quickly, I really do consider each and every day the biggest blessing in the world. It makes me laugh to think I use to consider it a sacrifice to serve a mission. Little did I realize the incredible blessing it is to dedicate every ounce of my time to the Lord. I'm forever grateful for the mission age change at the perfect time in my life. God has a plan for each and every one of us. It is individual and it is perfect for who He needs us to become. I know that is true.
 
MIRACLES ARE ABOUNDING IN MANDARIN. Sister Petramalo and I are finding people like crazy, teaching more lessons than I have in quite some time, and working our tails off. And yet, it's the best feeling. I seriously love this sister-she has incredible faith, a love for the gospel, and a powerful focus. The last 10 days as her companion have been a tender mercy from the Lord. He knows exactly what we need when we get close to that breaking point. Can I tell y'all about a miracle family we've found this week?
 
Part 1. We started the week on trade-offs. On this trade-off, a visiting sister and I had 20 minutes to find a new investigator before racing to a family home evening lesson. She was working on following the promptings of the Spirit, so everything was working out well with our plans. For a weeks now a certain street had been standing out, but we somehow never got there. We went directly to that street and I simply asked this sister where she felt good about. It threw her off her groove a bit, but she picked a place and led the way to which houses she liked. No Answer. No Answer. Drum roll please....On the third door, one of my soon-to-be favorite people in the world, stepped out onto her porch. Within a matter of minutes, she was crying, we were setting a return appointment, and my companion and I raced off to get to our FHE. Her name is Carrie, by the way. I love that God can work so quickly and powerfully through our limited time. We only had to talk to one person to find who God had prepared.
 
Part 2. A few days later, Sister Petramalo and I come back to Carrie's for our return appointment. Her 16 year old daughter, Victoria, joined us, as well as her 21 year old handicapped daughter, Courtnie. That hour in their home was incredible. We got to know them, their struggles, and teach the first lesson. Both Carrie and Victoria have agreed to be baptized in September. We are going to start teaching the husband this week too. I love teaching families. I love it. I love it. I love it. I don't have the more sensitive spirit of discernment, but there is something different about this family. They are ready for the gospel in a way I have only felt a few times on my mission and it makes my heart so happy.
 
Here's a few random tidbits:
1. There are people surrounding us that are ready for the gospel.
2. #IFOLLOWHIM Event is going to be INCREDIBLE this Saturday. Have you joined it?
3. I am beginning to pick up TERRIBLE SOUTHERN ENGLISH. "Get out the car." "And I be like..."
4. Scribbling my favorite quotes and ideas and inspirations into my scriptures is one of my favorite things. I love it.
5. I cracked my iPad screen..."You win some and you lose some."
6. If you are feeding the missionaries - I promise all they want is fresh fruit.
7. There is nothing prettier than a planner full of teaching appointments.
8. Getting in contact with the leadership of all the facebook missions all across the country to combine our efforts through a specific mission leadership group-TAKES FOREVER.
9. My companion and I have way too much fun at night after planning.
10. Mandarin First is incredible. If it were God's will, I'd beg you all to pray I spend the rest of my mission here. HEAVEN IS HERE.
 
Love y'all forever!

Sister Hutchins

 Sister Petramalo is obsessed with watermelon. Not casually obsessed, but nearing crazy kind-of-obsessed. We seriously laugh more than is healthy.
 Taura makes the best Pico De Gallo on the planet. Don't worry I have the recipe...but I think it may be more of an art of Taura's than something that can be learned.
  I heart Sister Petramalo.
Darling Peruvian family fed us a scrumptious Sunday dinner. Yum yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment