Monday, August 11, 2014

Meeting an Apostle (w/ pictures!!)

There is always so much I want to share, but I decided that this week, instead of sharing a lot of good, brief points, I'll just tell y'all about one experience.
On Friday, we were talking with President Craig and he told us how Elder Christofferson, one of the 12 apostles, was visiting the Kingsland, GA Stake to set apart the new stake president. I let it go pretty quickly when President mentioned there was no way he could fit it into his schedule to meet with the missionaries of our mission. But then come Saturday, President Craig called us and asked if we'd been praying pretty hard. We didn't understand of course, and then he said that Elder Christofferson had worked through his schedule and he had a 2 hour window that he could meet with 4 zones of missionaries before his flight. HALLELUJAH. The very next day, the four Jacksonville Zones (our mission has 8), gathered in the Hendricks building and had the privilege of a life-time to sit and hear an apostle of the Lord speak to us.
For the first 20 minutes, Elder Christofferson shook every single missionary's hand. It was not only incredible to talk with him for a few brief moments, but really it was incredible to watch as he was able to help each of us feel of the Savior's love simply and powerfully through his own actions. He reminded me of when Christ visited the America's in 3 Nephi 11;15 and spent time "one by one" with everyone in the multitude. And it just got better from there.

Elder Christofferson spoke for a few brief minutes, then he opened up for questions. I've always heard about experiences where apostles have done this, but never actually been a part of them. As missionaries began asking questions, one I've been really pondering stood out in my mind. I asked him the following question: "How can we make every prayer powerful and sincere?" He made an initial joke about all the times he fell asleep on his knees with his companion during their night-time prayers. Then, he began explaining the importance of listening. We tend to go on and on in our prayers about what we need, what we're grateful for, what's on our minds. But, to ultimately have spirit-guided, powerful prayers, we have to give God the opportunity to GUIDE them. He invited us to pause during our prayers, to slow down in between the things we're praying for, and really listen. "That," he said, "is the key to powerful, sincere prayers. Then you can let the Spirit guide them." Prayer really is my favorite thing. As Sister Training Coordinators, we decided to create a transfer theme for all of our sisters. This transfer's theme is from 3 Nephi 19;26. PRAY ON. We are so excited about it. There's a lot more to it, but for now, that's my catch phrase of late. I love it.

And of course, Elder Christofferson saved the best for last. As he bore his testimony of the gospel, he paused, seemed to look every missionary in the eye and said something like, "My purpose in coming here today was to let you know one thing: The Lord accepts your offering. Your service is accepted by the Lord." The spirit filled the room in a deeply powerful way. If it hadn't been so spiritual, it almost would have been funny how quickly the sniffles around the room started all at the same time. I know countless sisters that needed to hear that. I needed to hear that. I LOVE how though God truly is a God of justice, and commands us to live a certain way and to do certain things, He also is a God of mercy and shows us incredible, unconditional love, even in the face of our many imperfections and weaknesses. That sacred moment in the chapel with an apostle of the Lord accepting my service on behalf of my Savior is one I will never forget.
He ended everything by saying, "I know, because I KNOW that Jesus Christ lives. You are hearing it now from the lips of an apostle. I hope you never forget it." My goodness, I love his boldness and power as he spoke. Elder Christofferson isn't an apostle I would have pegged as the most amazing speaker in the world, but I now know he is perhaps one of the most Christlike. I really am the most blessed missionary alive. I love this work. I could truly serve my Savior forever, and I will...just in different ways in the years to come.

Sister Hutchins
Singing "I Believe in Christ" in church
I keep meaning to send you a photo of what happens by the end of a humid day. This
was a tame straight hair day. But really, that was nice and straight in the morning. I need to capture the truly horrendous days soon before August ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment