Monday, November 10, 2014

Moments of the Week

Depressing Moment of the Week: At Zone Conference they ask that all missionaries who will be home before the next zone conference to bear their testimonies. As it dawned on me that I was included in that group, my heart sunk. It was one of those moments you NEVER think you will reach when you are at the beginning of the mission, and suddenly I found myself standing with the others walking to the front of the chapel. I bore my testimony about Isaiah 53:3-5. It's one of my absolute FAVORITE scripture passages. What I said ended up being rather simple. I know that with Jesus Christ, we can be healed from all sin, all disappointment, all our weaknesses. Oh happy day!

Spiritual Highlight of the Week: Sunday was just a powerhouse of a day. So many prayers were answered. My darling companion becomes rather quiet in lessons and at church. And she has been feeling like she can't feel the Spirit lately. So we've been setting goals/role playing/studying/praying and talking about a whole lot of things all week long. She was especially nervous about teaching Young Women's on Sunday. After a whole lot of sincere prayer, it was one of the most incredible lessons I've ever been a part of. Sister Hendricks shared some incredible stories, taught up a storm, bore a sincere testimony where she FELT the Spirit, and walked out of church feeling on top of the world. It was a beautiful moment to say the least. I seriously adore my companion. She's a powerful missionary; we're just working on her realizing that.

"Peeing my Skirt" Laughing in Hysterics Moment of the Week: There are not very many moments in life as perfectly funny as this image. Just picture for a moment, one white girl in a dress/helmet, one black girl in a skirt/helmet, and one 61 year old black man in a green corduroy suit biking in the crazy wind (thank goodness for bike shorts let me tell you) through the streets of Jax Beach to church on Sunday. We were trying to teach Wendell (baptized two weeks ago) the principle of self-reliance. We decided now that he's a member, he needs to not rely on members for rides. So we had a biking party, and I cannot quite express the hilarity of that scene. I know at some point being a missionary should be normal, but come on...how dorky is this photo? I still can't stop giggling about this. Oh the things missionaries do. 
It doesn't get better than this. :)

Quote of the Week: Remember that incredible Romanian family? We taught them this week in a whole lot more detail ALL about the Book of Mormon. Near the end, they were asking WHY we needed another book of scripture. I began explaining all about how they were a family already close to Christ, and that this book could take them even closer to Christ. The grandmother stopped me and with tears in her eyes said, "I can see the countenance and light of Christ in you." They then agreed to read the Book of Mormon some more before we visit them again on Wednesday. Oh happy day! I love when scriptures like D&C 84:85 ring true in real missionary life.

LOVE YOU ALL. A whole lot. 
Sister Hutchins

p.s. Reading the Book of Mormon every free second I get has been the greatest thing in the world. Talk about a whole lot of peace, joy, and guidance 24/7. My companion thinks I'm a touch crazy when I'm opening my scriptures for the 5th time at 10:00 pm, but that's alright. You win some and you lose some =)

No comments:

Post a Comment