Monday, November 17, 2014

A Week in Quotes

We painted a nativity set. Happy P-day/early Christmas to us!
This week can be perfectly defined through quite a few quotes.

1. "If we fail, we fail with glory!"-Hymn theme of the Week
This week was a bit of a rough one. The darling Romanian family welcomed us into their home the other day, sat us down, and told us they talked to their pastor. All they would let us share was a simple verse and prayer...and then we were out the door. After feeling so spiritually guided to them, I felt like someone had slapped me in the face. This whole experience threw me a bit off my groove and I wasn't in the best of moods. Thank goodness missionary work is done in companionships. We were about to start knocking some doors the next night, and my companion called me out. (I seriously adore the ground Sister Hendricks walks on.) She told me to stop defining my success by reaching our baptismal goals, and to start defining it by giving our absolutely all...regardless of the results. And away we went singing that hymn and laughing. Her words were a definite answer to prayer. I'm so grateful for companions that pick you up when you're down. It's funny how the very advice I've given dozens of sisters before, came straight back at me when I needed it. So if you were wondering what the theme for the rest of my mission is....there it is:"If we fail, we fail with glory." 
 I love being a sister missionary. And I love this gorgeous area.

***On a much happier note...we're teaching another family of 5. The mom told us she's been feeling lost and that it's time she listens to us. OH HAPPY DAY. When we give our all, Heavenly Father really does shower in perfectly timed blessings.

2. "I mean, John Smith said...."-Me
So many people are always telling us that we believe in a man called John Smith. So much so that the other night, I called Joseph Smith....John Smith. I've never laughed so hard in my life. Thankfully, it was just in a conversation with my companion and not on a stranger's doorstep. 

3. "Sister Hutchins-you're becoming rebellious out there in Jax Beach."-My Zone Leaders
We're really not trying to be disobedient. but one night we decided to walk home (I'm embarrassed to share how many miles), instead of drive it to stay within our mile limits. We may have miscalculated how long that would take us...especially with bleeding feet hahaha. Not the smartest move. I think my zone leaders are still laughing. Moral of the story: Don't walk barefoot in Jacksonville.

They say to save the best for last....my last trade off of
missionary life....really was the best. I heart Sister Kloepfer.
4. "No wonder missionaries aren't allowed to date. Who one would date us?"
There's something about biking in dresses, name tags, running pants, and helmets that cracks me up every time. Throw in flashcards of the scriptures were memorizing in my hands....and it's just the funniest visual. I'm still not going to get over it by the time I'm done here. 

5. "Tell me everything"-Sister Hendricks
Every time I begin telling a story, this is Sister Hendricks instant reaction. It's conversations after planning at night with her that lead to those simple, yet powerful revelatory experiences about who we want to be and what's already changed. Love her with all my heart. 

6. "The best paths in life are rarely the easiest."-Elder Carlos A. Godoy
Our mission has a theme we say every morning in our companionship study after we recite 3 Nephi 5:13, D&C 4, and The Standard of Truth. "I love tough things. I am the first to do tough things. I do tough things first. I love being a missionary." It was only this week that I really processed how much I love tough things. If they were easy, we wouldn't become the best we can be. 
Someday I'll have to explain this more. But for now, I am going to
cherish the next three Sundays next to a darling companion.

I seriously am so happy. Heavenly Father is definitely making sure a learn a few more priceless lessons our here, and I couldn't be more grateful for it. These last 4 weeks are going to be the best ones yet. (By the way...rumor is I get to go to the Orlando temple the day after thanksgiving. WOOT WOOT.)

No comments:

Post a Comment