Monday, November 24, 2014

Heavenly Father's Love

There are SO many themes to my mission of lessons learned. But there is one that I am only now grasping. I'm learning that the very first principle in the first lesson - God is Our Loving Heavenly Father - is just about the most true thing that has ever been recorded. Heavenly Father has repeatedly taught me over and over again throughout the course of my mission that He loves me. This week there were three moments that were exactly that - moments I felt complete love from my Heavenly Father.
Thanksgiving service project! Love these incredibly talented singers.

1. To be honest, this concept of going home as been a hard one for me to handle for a whole myriad of reasons. I hadn't realized how exhausted I was and how much I kept pushing every single thought or fear of the future/leaving my mission out of my mind until I sat on the couch of this darling 29-year-old return missionary in my ward. (Sister Jefferies and her husband actually served as missionaries in the Jax Beach ward eight months apart. Talk about crazy.) Anyway, on that perfect Tuesday night, I felt like Heavenly Father hand-delivered me the older sister conversation I've been needing for months. Before that night, Sister Jefferies and I did not know each other, but after that incredible Spirit-led conversation, and the very answers I felt Heavenly Father was giving me through her...she became my adopted older sister. I'm not a crier, but as I hugged her that night and I felt an incredible amount of love from not only her, but my family back home, and my Heavenly Father, I was definitely crying. I'm so grateful for the divinely orchestrated tender mercies that have been filling my life, especially lately.

2. We are teaching another family of five. In the days leading up to our lesson I prayed and prayed that we would somehow get all the kids in on the lesson because they hadn't joined us the first time. The moment we walked into Tara's home, she called all the children into the room. The next hour was out of some perfect missionary dream. We taught using the pictures in the pamphlets, her three darling kids actually stayed relatively quiet and answered our questions. The member who came with us bore her sincere testimony and conversion story at the perfect moment in response to Tara's questions about why we need the Book of Mormon.  Allie, the 9-year-old daughter, even offered to say the closing prayer. (WHICH by the way, the dad walked in to join us for. Baby steps.) Before we walked out the door, Allie handed Sister Hendricks and I thank you notes for teaching her all about Jesus. I seriously could teach families forever and ever. I love watching the eyes of Tara as her kids explain how they know Jesus loves them. And LOVE how much the kids turn to listen to their mom as she explained why having a prophet on the earth today could bless her family. I love being a missionary.
#sharethegift begins November 25th. Be excited. I am!

3. Do y'all remember those facebook events - Discover the Book, Search the Book, Live the Book, and Share the Book? The Church is doing a big video and promotional hashtag social media event for Christmas. It's going to be all over Times Square in New York and cool things like that. Do you want to know what it's called? Discover the Gift, Embrace the Gift, Share the Gift. My mission president came to my district meeting, pulled me aside, and handed me the new pass along cards with those very words on it and waited for me to process the connection. He rolled his eyes when I just said, "Oh great. I'm excited for something new." He turned the card around and said, "HELLO-Discover the Book?? Look at this!!" Who knows where their inspiration came from, but it was this incredible moment of processing that the little things we each do have the capacity to have a ripple effect much bigger than we know.

Hey, you know what's fun to consider...."I'll be home for Christmas." I heard that song the other day and laughed at how perfect it is. LOVE YOU ALL. Happy Thanksgiving.

OH AND FAMILY---In regards to that video I am sending home, I know most of you aren't together this year for Thanksgiving, BUT watch it on Thursday and consider it my "Indian yarn" gratitude contribution. LOVE YOU. (I'm sending it to Ryan so he can splice it together.)

No comments:

Post a Comment