Monday, July 7, 2014

All Sorts of Celebrating

Turning 21 this week was all sorts of delightful.Not only did we laugh for hours about drinking rootbeer out of glass bottles all day, but Sister Ashcraft had coordinated somehow with other sisters in the mission so all day long she was handing me lists from others sisters of the 21 reasons why they love me. Best companion ever (well, every companion is the best companion ever too, but go with it.) We ate delicious cake from the darling Taura Dobbs and even had an article posted about the Called to Share facebook campaign from BYU that ended the day perfectly. Let's just say,being 21 is practically perfect in every way.
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY. Best holiday of the mission so far. The day started off with a ward pancake breakfast and bike parade, then we had an inspired weekly planning session, followed by a delicious barbeque at our Welsh Ward Mission Leader's home. And it ended with my favorite part of it all....Hello center of Downtown Jacksonville street contacting all night as a zone. We even got to watch the fireworks off the river. We were carded to get into the area where the most people were (quite the drinking scene...and to think we were going around handing out Books of Mormon)....and I was 21. Woot woot.

Ready for our three favorite ways for starting conversations with complete strangers?
1. I LOVE your shoes (works like a charm every time)
2. Do you know where the bathroom is? (you think we're kidding, people like to feel like they're helping someone)
3. Is this the best place to stand to watch the fireworks?

It's almost hard for me to fathom how willing we are as missionaries to just walk up to anyone and share the gospel. I still feel the initial sense of hestitancy, but then as we just step up to the plate and embrace our calling it's incredible to witness miracles just pouring out. by the end of the night, we had 13 or 14 people say yes to having missionaries come by. Opening your mouth is worth it every time.I LOVE IT.

We are actually headed to the zoo today, so I'm running out of time, but let me tell you real quick about a perfect moment this week. When I first came into this ward, the bishop gave me a blessing and mentioned specifically working with the Young Women in the ward. I instantly fell in love with a laurel named Dayna. She agreed to go out with us this week and by the end of what felt like a not-so-miraculous night,she was thanking us for the incredible night she'd had. Come Sunday, she was bearing her testimony all about missionary work and her desire to serve a mission. I love when God can promise us something and it is so clear when He blesses us with exactly what He said He would.

Long story short, I love this work as always. I never think I can love it more and then another week goes by,and I LOVE it all the more somehow..Miracles are happening everyday. There really is no place else I'd rather be.

Sister Hutchins

No comments:

Post a Comment