Monday, July 21, 2014

No Zipper Issues and Strong Testimonies

I found Proverbs 17:22 this morning and it made my heart so happy. I actually giggled in the middle of personal study and my companion got a bit of a kick out of it.  "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine." It definitely sounds a bit more like Shakespeare than scripture, but I loved it anyway. Here are a few funny moments of the week, because let's be honest, there are some flat out hysterical moments in missionary life (or at least my missionary life).

1. In Ward Council, I feel the need to sit up straight and act a bit more like a grown up than usual, but this week I lost a bit of that composure as I looked across the room and saw an elder serving in my ward with MY name tag on. I had to do a double take, look down to check to see that my name-tag was in fact, still on, and then look back more puzzled than I've been in a while. I tried to point at him slyly to my companion and suddenly the entire ward council was following my gaze, the bishop was laughing, and calling him out and my new name tag (that I ordered 4 months ago) was tossed to me across the room. Favorite quote of that morning, "Will the late Sister Hutchins say the closing prayer?"-Bishop Reading.

2. As we were getting into the car one day this week, my companion was telling me why she was grateful to be a missionary. Here I was ready to here some profound wisdom, and she listed off that she loves being a missionary because she never has to worry about her zipper being down. The pro and con list was already in favor of the Pros, but it just got a bit longer. I'm learning to love this skirt thing more and more.

3. We ate dinner with a part-member family in my ward last night. We had been warned by the wife to keep things very casual with her husband and not to be pushy with the gospel. I expected a rather awkward dinner conversation that night, but we were pleasantly surprised to find that though her husband is not a fan of our beliefs, he is a fan of us. By the end of dinner we were all hysterically laughing as this couple bickered back and forth about the toilet seat the husband had just purchased. Favorite quote of the night,"Sisters, come here and just look at my toilet seat."-Husband. "Wait, look at mine!" -Wife. Oh the joys of missionary life. 

Along with the oh so funny moments of missionary life, come the oh so powerful ones as well.

1. Trade offs have become such a normal thing in my missionary life that I almost don't realize them happening anymore. We went on two this week and on both trade offs, both sisters needed a bit extra TLC. Through rather long conversations, the Spirit began to flow and answer the questions and worries of these dear sisters. I'm always so stunned when a sister presents her troubles to me and somehow, ever so perfectly, they find their answer by the end of the trade off. I never know the answer they need, but I trust that God does. Thank goodness for that.

2. Members are the best thing in the whole world. We invited a cute recent convert mom to join us a for a lesson with an investigator this week and it was literally the best member match up I've ever witnessed. I do believe we may have just witnessed future best friends meeting for the first time. Just about made me want to cry with happiness.

3. During weekly planning this past Friday, Sister Ashcraft and I were finally led to the root of why we're struggling in our area. We're trying to do too much ourselves. It's time we stepped up our game with our members. I am oh so excited. And to confirm that to us even more, President Craig spoke in our Sacrament meeting and in the 3rd hour all about member missionary work. LOVE IT. 

We've been focusing on meeting all these unknown members in our area. We were visiting an older man in our ward, and in the middle of the conversation I just asked him what wisdom he would share with us. He replied, "I need to get back to church." That was not the answer we were expecting, but you can bet your bottom dollar we are re-teaching this man the lessons now and he is working on getting back to church. Love it.

LOVE YOU ALL. I just finished the Book of Mormon again for my mission's 90 day read (it took me 110...woops! I'm a slow poke). I love that precious book SO much. We write our testimonies in the front cover of all the Books of Mormon we give out and it hits me so often how incredible it is that we have this second witness of Christ in our lives. When is the last time you gave someone a Book of Mormon? 

Love, Sister Hutchins

No comments:

Post a Comment