Monday, October 21, 2013

Tears, Fire, and Prayers

Dear World,

I don't quite know where to start with this week. The past transfer starting out white-washing here in Timuquana started slow. We felt like we were walking in circles, slowly we started walking in a pretty purposeful direction, and then before we knew it...we were sprinting down that path. This past week, we hit a wall and got a little banged up. But ladies and gents, we climbed that wall this week and are safely on the other side. 

To make a long story rather short, my darling companion started contemplating going home this week. The focus of the week quickly became less about missionary work and much more about her. The time we spent talking, fasting, pondering, praying, crying, and hugging each other this week is something I actually am so grateful for. I have never prayed so fervently or intently or sincerely for another person. And now that it is all said and done, guess what? Darling Sister Hibpshman is staying. She is a gem and I am oh so grateful that God answers prayers.

Can I tell you about our favorite moment of the week? We were at a breaking point...one where both of our emotions were all over the place and we could not focus on the lesson we were going to teach. So, we decided we needed to help ourselves before we could help another. We drove to our favorite park, found a place along the water to sit and dangle our feet, and we sang hymns for a solid hour as the sun went down. In the midst of her defeated confusion, and my fear that I wasn't going to be able to help my companion, the spirit came and calmed us down so quickly and powerfully. It was truly a moment of perfection. 

Now, are you ready for the scariest moment of my life? At 3:30 in the morning...banging began all around our apartment building. All we could hear was people screaming "Fire." We grabbed our shoes, the keys, and the phone and ran out the door. The 4 story building they were building right behind ours was completely engulfed in flames. All we could do was stare for a moment, but as the flames got bigger and the wind picked up, we decided that leaving would be our best option. We jumped in our car and left. Little did we know that we wouldn't be allowed to come back for hours. So where did we go in our panicky mindset? Right back to that lovely park. And we walked the deserted bridge wondering if our building had caught fire too. Somehow we ended up laying down in the middle of bridge (Hello Notebook) laughing hysterically. Don't worry, once we were allowed back into our complex...our building was perfectly fine and no one was hurt. The next day we drove past a bonfire and both cringed. I do not think I am ever going to enjoy sitting near a campfire ever again.

Last, but not least...I need your help. All of you. Every single one of you reading this. I'm starting a blog. A blog that I've prayed about for a solid month now. Please be watching for it on Facebook. I'm collecting miracles from everyone I can....members, investigators, random people I meet. We are going to show the world that God's hand is in every day for each and every person. What I need from you...is a miracle. Please email/facebook message me, no matter how short, a recent miracle in your life where you saw God's hand in your life. It could be simple, it could be life changing. Anything-I want it. And if you feel so inspired....share my blog on your facebook walls. Help me gather miracles from everyone you know. That will sure make getting to 1000 in a year a whole lot easier =)
Email me at: jenessah@myldsmail.net

I love you all so much. I've never been so grateful for my Savior. In the moments I felt like giving up, He was there. Prayer is truly a beautiful thing and when we hit our breaking points, God is going to take us by the hand and make it possible for us to continue on. This work is truly the best work in the world. Thank goodness I'm still at the beginning of my mission because I have so much more that I want to give my Savior.

Sister Hutchins

No comments:

Post a Comment