Monday, August 19, 2013

Ice Cream & Fried Chicken

Hello Y'all,
 
Sometimes I sit down to write this and I simply cannot process what it is that I should write. So much happens in a week, but at the same time...I honestly feel like yesterday was last week's P-day as well. Time on a mission is insanely warped. As for fun Southern things, I have officially ventured to the St. Mary's pier and taken way to many photos (I will send them next week!) while eating delicious ice cream. We ate at this quintessential southern fried chicken place for lunch today and nearly died laughing as we ate fried okra. And last, but not least...I survived my first tornado warning for my county. The tornado blew through, but never touched down. We were sitting down for dinner at a member's house and stayed a bit longer than normal just to be safe. My darling companion grew up from Kansas and was telling all sorts of crazy tornado stories. I love these Southern storms (well...the ones that don't actually do any damage that is).
 
Oh yes, I have a mission highlight to share! The woman who speaks Arabic and is getting baptized sometime in the next couple weeks, darling Grace, has two kids. Nema and Keo. Nema is 7 years old and she has a testimony like no other child I have ever met. We were sitting in Grace's home as she told us about her week. Nema and Keo had lost their markers, and Nema suggested they pray. Of course, those cute kids found the markers a minute or so later. When their mom asked how they finally found them, Nema just said, "Mom, we prayed about it. Of course we found them." Oh how I love the faith of little kids. Darling Nema is such an example to her mom. We are getting so excited about her baptism. Grace has been waiting for this for a long time. I don't think I've ever prayed so much and so hard for a family in my life. I am truly in love with this family. (Side note! The husband who hasn't been interested at all while we've been teaching her, finally sat in and started asking questions. Oh how I love God's timing.)

Can I just say, that I love family history! All my life, I've thought it was a cool thing that other people have done, but not something that I would ever really do til later on. But I can officially say that it truly is an incredible work. Sister Richardson and I were trained this past week and have started sharing messages about family history with members and non members we meet. It has been so exciting to watch people's faces light up as they talk about their families and to help them realize what an important work family history is. Miracles are coming as our leaders are specifically asking us to use family history to help find people and to strengthen our wards.

Quick update: Sister Richardson has been quite sick this past week with nasty headaches. With stake conference, she was able to get a blessing from our Mission president, along with our elders, the bishop, and the ward mission leader. The power of the priesthood in that room was incredible. Fingers crossed she gets better this week.

Love you all and always praying for you. So grateful to be serving.
Sister Hutchins

No comments:

Post a Comment