Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Following Promptings - Southern Style

Hey Y'all, 

Mission life does not get boring that is for sure. Transfers are tomorrow and oh my word am I getting excited and nervous and ecstatic and freaked out and a whole lot more of who know's what. I am staying in my area in the Kingsland Ward. We were expecting this, but I am so grateful for that. I just don't know how I would say goodbye to these incredible people just yet. I will be moving apartments though. The apartments we are currently living in are not in the best area anymore. We hope to be moving this week closer to the church (Woot woot-less miles baby). It will be a bit of a bummer being so distracted for the work with moving and all, but as this ward is now referring to me as the "organization freak"....I'm sure it will be fun.

We had a lesson at the beginning of this week that would make anyone's jaw drop. By the end of it, darling Grace was telling us that the baptismal date we had sent the lesson before wasn't soon enough (we can't move it up though because we are waiting for her kids to get home from Canada). I seriously didn't know how to respond for probably a little too long. Sister Wood and I did happy dances all the way home. We addressed serious concerns she had had the last time we had met with her and the spirit was so strong her normally stubborn self agreed that everything we were telling her made sense. I just love love love how powerful the spirit was. Sister Wood and I had been praying and studying and asking past bishops in our ward how to address her particular concerns, but it wasn't our explanation that helped her realize the truth....it truly was the spirit in the room. I love it so much. (Side Note: Grace has been talking to me in Arabic some more. But this time in Sudanese Arabic. 3rd dialect baby. Can't wait to get back to school and start learning it again.)

At a dinner appointment with an investigator and his member wife (the incredible Stebbins fam) I was set to teach the entire lesson because I had made a deal with Brother Stebbins. If I taught an entire lesson alone, he would say the prayers...which is saying something if you knew him. In the end, he only said one of the prayers, but it was the best lesson experience I've had my entire mission. Brother Stebbins has set three baptismal dates now and each one has fallen through. It's been quite the heart breaking journey for his wife and all the missionaries that have worked with him. After I taught my lesson, I knew nothing had gotten through to him. His wife had done all the talking and got more and more excited about the temple, but Brother Stebbins was sitting silently. The spirit kept telling me I needed to be bold and figure out where he was at. So, I looked at the clock telling me we were already late to making it back home on time and I listened to the spirit instead. I started asking him questions and he finally opened up after weeks of praying to know where his testimony is at. We spent the next hour and a half asking questions, answering questions, testifying about the power of prayer. Long story short, we finally know what has been holding him up for so long. We have finally figured out what it is that we need to work on with him, and though the road is long and maybe getting a little bit longer than we had previously anticipated, I know with all my heart that we are one step closer to getting him to been sealed to his darling wife in the Orlando temple next year. I love love love the power of the spirit. It's incredible.

Alright, if you didn't guess already, this week has been one big testimony builder about the power of the Holy Ghost and the miracles it provides. I have found so much peace with having the Spirit as my companion on my mission, especially as I start training tomorrow. I don't know a lot. I haven't taught everything. I do not have experience like many of the other trainers. But, I also know that I'm not alone in training this new sister. The Holy Ghost is the most powerful teacher and if I trust in Him, it is all going to be okay. What a blessing that is. In the mission world, I am 6 years old (6 weeks old) and pregnant (about to train...aka be a mother). It's been quite fun saying that. I love you all. So so so much. Sorry I'm such a gushy writer, but please love me anyway. Have an amazing week. And please please please, follow the promptings of the spirit.

Side note: Sorry about no pictures again. I keep getting the bad library computers. Next week hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment