Monday, September 29, 2014

Love Love Love

I'm not feeling in a coherent writing mood this lovely P-day, but writing out a gratitude list from this week does seem perfect. Ready?
This week, I've been grateful for:

1. Hysterical quintessential missionary moments. After a member made a joke at dinner I said, "Wait, who's Cameron Diaz? Are they in the ward?" I'm pretty sure that cute couple slapped their foreheads in unison. It's official. I've crossed to the dark side-16 month mark today. WOOT WOOT.

2. Elder Golden's zone conference was complete and utter perfection. I've never been in the presence of such a powerful teacher in my life. He dissected the scriptures in a way I've never seen anyone do before. After those 6 hours, my mind was complete mush. I took pages and pages of notes. My companion and I barely knew what to talk about when we got in the car afterward. One thing he said has been ringing in my ears ever since, "Elders and sisters, I bare you my witness that the Savior lives. My witness is no longer dependent on the scriptures." I'm the luckiest girl in the world to have been able to learn from him like that.

3. FINDING NEW GATORS. During a golden hour (time dedicated solely to finding) on a trade off with a sister training leader in my area, we had powerful experiences. In my wealthy area....we don't normally find lots of people to teach in an hour. But Sister Blotter and I taught three lessons on people's doorsteps in that hour. I LOVE talking to people.

4. The members of the Mandarin 1st ward. We've been asking all of our ward members this question: "How do y'all think we could help the members of our ward with their missionary work?" Inevitably, they tell us what would help them personally. While driving with our Relief Society president one night, we asked her that question, and now we know exactly what do to for a member missionary work lesson with her family and we're helping her get set up on Facebook this week. Oh happy day. I've never received so many member referrals my whole mission long. Lesson learned: Members don't need missionaries waltzing in with the newest, latest, and greatest missionary lesson/goal. Members need missionaries who sincerely want to help ease their burdens and help them share the gospel with their friends.

5. PERFECT LESSON INTERRUPTION MOMENTS. Picture this for a second. Our investigator Ben is sitting on his truck bed in his garage (yes someone in the South who uses their garage...stunning I know). Our ward mission leader (recent convert of 2 years) is standing next to me. My companion and I are sitting in chairs facing Ben out on the drive way. Sister Petramalo begins sharing the First vision scripture from Joseph Smith History and the rain picks up right in the middle of it. Those moments used to kill me on the inside, but I have learned over the past 16 months that if Satan is feeling the need to throw in an interruption, it's because the person in front of us is elect and ready for the gospel. Sister Petramalo didn't blink an eye. We may have been a little wet, but Ben agreed to be baptized. Bring on the rain.

6. My bishop. What a gem! He came with us to teach a lesson with an investigating family who struggles keeping their commitment to come to church. He helped us teach a lesson about keeping the Sabbath Day Holy and it was incredible. I love that a man as busy as he is, finds the time to do missionary work with us. It makes all the difference in the world when members get involved.

7. Primary program Sacrament meetings. Church on Sundays is often either the BEST part of the week, or a complete let down. It is all dependent upon whether investigators show up. Yesterday was one of those Sundays where only 1 of our 6 committed to church investigators actually showed up. And even he had to go to the earlier ward meeting, not our own at 12:30. And yet, those primary kids made up for it completely. Sister P and I giggled at those darling children and felt their powerful spirit. I love primary songs. It definitely was one of those moments where I realized in the big scheme of things, this Sunday with 0 investigators by my side would quickly be forgotten. There's only so much we can do.

8. I LOVE YOUTH. Sister Petramalo and I gave a social media devotional on Sunday night to the Youth. By the end of it, they were taking all sorts of selfies and posting early for #theprophetspeaks on instagram, snapchat, and facebook. I love how quick they are to share their faith. Have y'all joined the event?? Take a simple selfie with your hand behind your ear and follow this link! https://www.facebook.com/events/356942914468462/
9. The Women's Broadcast. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I've found that I feel most at home on my mission while watching Conference. There's such a familiar, powerful spirit in those meetings, and I find so many answers to my questions and worries. I'm so excited for this coming weekend.
10. My darling companion. Sister Petramalo is a gem. I love nothing more than reuniting with her after sister training leader trade offs and power trade offs. It feels oh so good.
LOVE YOU ALL. LOVE THE GOSPEL. LOVE MY LIFE.
Sister Hutchins

No comments:

Post a Comment